What is a bulk purchase?
A group of organizations goes through the process of purchasing solar systems together. Work is done by a single installer selected by the group. Each organization has its own system installed and pays separately, but they all benefit from the bulk purchase.
Why a bulk purchase?
- Economies of scale enable the installers to purchase panels for less
- Larger projects attract more bids, increasing competition and driving prices down
- We have more negotiating power because we’ve created a larger project
Make it easier to go solar
- Have support of MD SUN and other organizations through process
- Don’t have to navigate multiple bids and scenarios independently
Increase fundraising potential
- Large projects attract the attention of donors and press
How does the process work?
- Your organization hosts and info meeting and recruits other nonprofits, congregations, or community organizations to attend. MD SUN shares information about the basics of going solar, how a bulk purchase works, and how organizations can go solar.
- Organizations interested in moving forward sign up via an online form. You also submit a Letter of Commitment, indicating that your organization is interested in going solar.
- MD SUN reviews each roof via an initial assessment to make sure your building is a good fit for solar.
- Once the participants have recruited enough organizations to participate, MD SUN issues a Request for Proposals from area installers on behalf of the group.
- Participants then review the bids received by the group and selects a single installer to complete all of the projects for the group.
- Each participating organization then signs an individual contract with the chosen installer.
- Systems are installed and MD SUN helps participants hold ribbon-cutting or other events to celebrate the new solar projects!