Homeowners in Chestertown formed a solar co-op! Co-op members used their collective buying power to get a discounted price for solar panels. In July, they selected Advanced Solar Technologies as the installer for the group. If you’ve ever wanted to go solar and live in Chestertown or a surrounding community, now is your chance!
The Chestertown Solar Co-op is now closed to new participants. Thank you to all of you who raised your hands and said “yes” to solar!
Sorry you missed out? Sign up to be notified of a future group.
Want to learn more about the co-op? Watch video of a solar co-op meeting we held in late 2014.
Chestertown solar co-op timeline
Information Session #1: Thursday, May 28th at 7:00 pm
Information Session #2: Friday, May 29th at 4:30 pm
Information Session #3: Saturday, May 30th at 11:00 am
Request for installer bids released: Monday, June 29th
Information Session #4: Wednesday, August 5th at 7pm
Group sign-ups close for homeowners: Monday, September 7th
How does the co-op work?
By going solar as a group, members will typically save up to 20% off the cost of a solar system. They’ll also have the support of the co-op throughout the process instead of having to go it alone. The co-op is being organized by the Town of Chestertown, Center for Environment & Society at Washington College (CES), Community Power Network (CPN), and CPN’s project MD SUN. Anyone located in Chestertown, or a neighboring community in Maryland, is welcome to join.
- Example Incentives and Financing for Co-op
- Maryland Solar Renewable Energy Credits (SRECs)
- Solar, Homeowners Associations, and Historic Districts in Maryland
Co-op in the news:
- Historic district approves solar power arrays Kent County News (November 2015)
- Interview with co-op member David Sobers WCTR-AM (July 2015)
- Solar Co-op coming to Chestertown Chestertown Spy (May 2015)
- Solar power co-op forming in area Kent County News (June 2015)
- Solar cooperative forming in Chestertown Kent County News (June 2015)
- Interview with Corey Ramsden WCTR-AM (May 2015)
Still have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and mention “Chestertown” in the subject line.
Who is organizing this?
The co-op is being organized by the Community Power Network, and MD SUN with outreach support from the Town of Chestertown and the Center for Environment & Society at Washington College. All are welcome to join!